Friday, October 01, 2004

My Lessons

I can't believe it's frickin' October already. Man, I swear I was just looking forward to my holidays in July and now suddenly is freakin October.

Crap.

But this is probably as good a time as any to reflect on what I've learned in the past year.

Why now? Because by December, you'll be sick of seeing these lists.

1. My Work Ethic has altered slightly. For the first time in 8 years I feel like skipping work. It's not that my work ethics have actually gotten that bad as I'm already looking forward to my new start on October 12, it's that I'm regretting having to wait that long after dealing with the primo-bozos in my current department.
2. I'll admit I love Sex Caffeine. But what I've discovered is that I love her as a friend. I'm very happy that she's found a good man, but at the same time I hope she doesn't get hurt. I just want her to be happy and I think I'm in a good spot feeling that way. So there.
3. I still love my first love too. Now that she's pregnant (not mine), I find I'm emailing her quite regularly just to see how she's doing. It's a caring love, not a passionate one.
4. I still love my wife. Probably gets the biggest sigh of relief, but it's true. I've been in a bad place for over a year now (more like 2 or 3 years, really) and have kept a "work comes first" attitude as it's what pays the bills. It still is "what pays the bills," but the raise and steady schedule make me realize more and more that my bad place turned out to be my office. We haven't argued about anything major in a few weeks now.
5. I hate my current job. I'm the "old man" in the department because I've been working there for 7 years. The others all don't add up to my experience and my "lessons" have fallen on deaf ears. I understand policies, they just don't care and I'm the one that hear about it from on high. I'm outta here.
6. I love my new job. October 12 baby! I sat down today to see if I could remember everyone in the department. Yep. Got 'em all and only mispelled one guy's name. They're getting impatient waiting for me to start. So am I.
7. I have a new addiction. Actually, 2. Maybe even 3. Recently got copies of both City of Heroes and Sims 2. Having a blast with both. #3 might be NHL 2005 which I haven't gotten around to installing quite yet.
8. I'm a bit of a pervert. I'll admit to downloading the censor-patch remover for Sims 2 and then almost immediately donwloading nude skins. Just makes the game that much more interesting...
9. I hate being sick. Can't tell if it's stress related or just a plain common cold, but I'm sniffling, coughing and hacking all through the night right now. May have to miss a few days of work next week.
10. Alcohol is my friend. I'm drinking regularly all of sudden (well, at least before this stupid cold hit). I've gone out with co-workers on 3 occasions in the past 2 weeks. And I've had a little something nearly every night too. The 2nd & 3rd times were back-to-back Friday and Saturday as part of a good-bye thing for a friend of mine in a different department. She's off to explore the world for the next year or so. She propositioned me the 2nd night and I stayed away (but oh so tempting!!) and on the 3rd night she did it again and it was really difficult to stay away. Managed to do it, though and almost literally crawled off to sleep in my car.
11. I have one week left with my Co-Workers From Hell. I'll have to get 'The Boy" to send me updates on what the CFHs are doing. The Boy's quite sad I'm leaving and I feel (a little, but very little) bad for him too. Apparently, Drama Queen has also gotten a transfer out of the department, but she's going to an even busier one where perfection is key. I hope she can step up to the plate and deliver, but something tells me she's done by Christmas. The Boy is basically left alone with the boss now and that won't be a good thing.

What do I do for stories now?


No comments: