Thursday, December 18, 2003

My Year to Come


Whilst putting my socks on yesterday morning, I made a decision.  As my
toes ripped through the fabric and I grabbed a second pair only to have the same
thing happen, I made a decision.

2004 is all about me.

Me.

Me.

ME.

It was the mid-1990s when I last put myself in the forefront and broke through
the barriers in my way.  I left the group of friends I had and moved on to
new friends and associates.  I broke up with my long-time girlfriend. 
I buckled down at school.  I went to England.  I bought a new car.

Somehow, over the past 10 years I've managed to wiggle my way back into a
depressing hole of putting others before myself. Not that there's anything wrong
with putting others ahead of yourself, but isn't it also good every once in a
while to be a greedy bastard looking out for yourself?

And what the Hell do socks have to do with this anyway?

My wife's closet has expanded/bulged with new clothes for years to the point
that this past year she started putting clothes in my closet (which really isn't
a good thing when I'm in a rush to get ready in the morning and grab one of her
blouses).  Meanwhile, I have 1 pair of jeans that aren't stained or torn
(usually in the crotch and at Christmas time, you really notice that cool winter
breeze).  I have a couple pairs of socks that aren't completely
deteriorated to the point that at least one toe isn't out in the open.  My
running shoes were bought in 1995 and my everyday leather(esque) shoes are from
1998.

This past weekend, after running my ass off for a good cause, I'd already decided
it was the last year I'd be doing it just because I'm exhausted and find it a
really thankless job.  That thanklessness was accentuated on Sunday when
they had a big 'thank you' for all the volunteers and named each one
personally.  They skipped me.  They also managed to take all the
pictures during the 5 minutes I wasn't there. 

Sweet.

So 2004 is all about me.  I've already started the New Me Year. 
Pictures of me from the summer look vastly different than the guy typing this
right now.  I've gained muscle and lost weight.  I'm dressing better
(by sneaking clothes to work so that my wife doesn't flip out that I've spent
money on myself).  I'm also exuding a lot more confidence than I did even 6
months ago.

Look out world.  There's a whole (new) me coming soon!

No comments: