Monday, December 08, 2003

My Inevitability


It happen eventually and today was the day.


I dropped my 4-month old son on his head.


Fortunately it wasn't a big drop or anything.  In fact, my arm was
underneath him the entire time, but he still bumped his head and cried up a
storm

(not that he wouldn't've cried anyway --I think he's been
'relatively' happy for about 3 hours in the past 72...
).


My son has this tendency to arch his back whenever he decides the position
he's in is no longer acceptable.  Arching his back means he can roll over
quickly and abruptly and make his way to the edge of the couch, chair...
whatever.  He was in his swing and started to get restless and I went to
comfort him (pick up and cradle for about 40 minutes is the true definition). 
I took the crossbar off and undid the strap.  My daughter asked me a
question as I went to lift him out and he arched his back at that exact moment.


No crossbar to block him.

No strap to hold him in.

He was clear of the swing chair and falling to the hardwood floor just over a
foot below the swing.


I was on my knees when he arched out of reach and I leaned forward to catch
him.  I tried not to hit his head on the chair and managed to catch him
just above the floor.  That quick a movement, though, meant his head
flopped and it banged on the floor.


And he cried.


He almost arched out of his high chair tonight as well.  That would have
been a 3-foot drop to the floor.


Just another notch in my bad father book.


No comments: