Tuesday, December 23, 2003

My eBay Thing...


Over the past 5 years or so, I've been a buyer/seller on eBay with relatively
no problems.  Well, the problems would come in batches and that's usually
when I'd take break.  

Recently, I had a few big items that I knew would sell on eBay (and for a lot of
money) and I thought: 'This is going to be the make or break for me.' 
Either this works for the best or I stop selling things on eBay --for good.'

So, I sell 4 things for just over $3500 to 4 different people.  One in
Arkansas, 2 in New York, and 1 in the Netherlands.

Case #1:  Arkansas bound.  This guy paid right away and
I sent it out right away.  The post office tracking information let me down
though as there were no updates on the package until the day it arrived 6
days later.  Yes, I was worried.

Case #2: The Netherlands.  It took a few days for this guy to
respond.  He finally did and said he'd be paying via Paypal.  That's
fine, that's what it's there to do for me.  A week goes by and
nothing.  I email him again and he says there was an error with my email
address and his payment went to a fake email address.  He says he's
cancelling the payment and it's taking longer than he thought.  In the
meantime he starts complaining that I sent him the wrong email address.  It
was an automated email and the address is correct.  In fact, he sent me the
message in his reply and the address is correct.  Idiot.  I'm still
waiting for him to pay and it's now 2 weeks later.

Case #3:  New York state of mind.  Nothing.  He
paid, I sent.  He's happy.  Or at least he's quiet.

Case #4:  New York state of mindless.  Paid quickly and
I sent the same day as the other 2 items.  Arrived in the U.S. 2 days later
and has been making its way to New York City ever since.  By Wednesday of
the week it was to arrive, the emails began.  "Where is
it?"  "I need it by Christmas." "Why aren't you
answering emails?"  That was day one and all within 15 minutes of each
other.  Thursday saw a few more messages the same (and responded to all of
them and asked him to be patient as it was taking time this close to the
holidays).  Friday started with a panicked message that the package had
been delivered to me.  In reality it was an email server message
confirmation stating his messages were delivered to me.  I clarified that
with him and then early the next day received a message from a conflict
resolution company affiliated with eBay.  I'd been accused of fraud and he
was requesting his money back, especially since he hadn't heard from me in days
(in reality 11 hours).  I requested a mediator and passed on all
correspondence sent from Da Loser.  To make matters worse, this person is a
student at a fairly prestigious university in New York.... I guess entry
requirements have slipped recently.

Depending on how these 2 annoyances end up, this may be it for me on eBay. 
The frustrations these two have given me far outweighs anything I've dealt with
over the years.  Oh! So frustrating!!!

No comments: