Monday, January 28, 2008

What!?!?!

[one word, still works!]

I always think that the moment I have good news, everyone rooting for me will be happy.

Not true.

In fact, my wife was really upset that day and it continued for a week. See, the day I got the new job offer, her job (one of my old jobs at the office From Hell!) was cut by 80%. They did it "to be fair" to the on-call workers who were barely getting any shifts because of the quality of work she was doing.

Yep, read that again. She was doing such a great job, they cut her hours so the people who aren't good at it can have a chance to work. It still boggles the mind to think this place is considered one of the "top employers" in Canada... I'll never figure out who filled out that survey.

What doesn't help is me being sympathetic/empathetic about her situation. Despite the fact that I'd "been there" (literally.. I got booted from that job once to be replaced by a woman who had told her boss to 'f--- off' and the HR department asked her which job she'd rather do and gave her mine!) didn't go over well with my wife. No matter how often over the years she's seen me in a similar situation, it still hurt her and confused her. There's no reward for good work. There's nothing rewarding about working there at all. I've told her in the past to quit and my new job coinciding with this latest insult should be the perfect sign to walk away. But she didn't see it that way and we argued into the night.

I had nothing left to say and when she wanted to talk about it the next day, she took my saying "I've said everything I have to say. All I can do is listen." to mean: "I'm not talking about it."

We're still not talking about it.

1 comment:

Dreama said...

nothing like a good arguement to put a damper on your own accomplishment...hopefully things will improve soon.