Sunday, February 10, 2008

Shock

I started the new job this past week and I'm in total shock after 5 days of work. My commute is beyond stress-free and has become a breeze. I still leave home at the same time, but I'm at work in no time and never find myself running to catch the various modes of transit I need to get me places.

My big concern was having such a set transit schedule might be seen as 'risky' to the company, as I wouldn't be available for much overtime --and this industry loves overtime! I'm making the arrangements to crash either at my sister's place, or at a friend's place in-town, if need be. I am willing to go the extra mile for this company because they're treating me so well.

And, thus I'm shocked. Here's a list of things in my first week:
  1. 15 minutes after getting my photo taken for the internal website, I'm greeted and taken on a tour of the company. During the tour, I meet the CEO who remembers me from a presentation back when I was in school in 2006.
  2. I run into a few other people I"d worked with in the past and they all tell me how great it is here.
  3. Despite 2 days of catered lunches, and free food everyday, the team still takes me out for an official "welcome" lunch on the Friday.
  4. They're excited that I come in 90 minutes earlier than everyone else (part of that transit schedule again) because I can get the entire team up to speed the moment they arrive to the office.
  5. Being so early, the CEO has walked by my desk everyday (he's working on a completely different floor, but tours the entire facility before getting to business) and said good morning.
  6. I met my division boss, who then introduced me to all 50 people on the team. I never met the divisional boss at my last job. No idea who that even was.
  7. I'm allowed to check email and Facebook at work.
  8. I have medical and dental.
  9. I get to talk to people on my team as equals instead of part of a hierarchy where everything I said had to be diplomatic.
So, yeah. I'm in shock. I'm being treated well and with respect and it's been a long, long time since I had that.

2 comments:

Madley said...

It's wonderful find out jobs like that still do exist! Congrats :)

And nothing like a no-commute commute (mine is 1.5 miles) -- YAY for us!

Dreama said...

great news, hoser.

My commute is .4kms. It takes longer to warm up my car than it does to drive there.

My workplace is a nice one to work in as well...friendly faces all around, even if they are stressed out social workers. Isn't it nice to be in a good work environment?