Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Tense... Very Tense

I recall when my car was stolen in 2003 that the insurance company was ready to hold their version of the Spanish Inquisition and put me on the rack to discover what had happened to my car. In the insurance business, it seems the owner of a stolen car is guilty until proven innocent.

Lucky for me the police arrested 3 people in my car, yes? I recall the mound of paperwork the insurance adjustor had with her when I went to the appointed meeting. She did not have the police report yet, but when I told her there'd been 3 people arrested in my car, she put away all but one of the sheets. I filled out the basic information: I was at work, my car had been outside in the parking lot all day, and when I "left work" it was gone.

Guilty until proven innocent.

The car accident on October 9th should be finalized today. My car is back from the body shop with over $2100 in repairs, of which I was forced to pay $300 (which I don't really have). Why? Because the woman who drove into me just filed her claim yesterday and had to take her van in today. She's also claiming she wasn't at fault (she turned right into a lane I was already occupying), so now the insurance company has to "investigate."

What worries me most is that she waited 2 weeks to make her claim and her van had minor scratches on the front rubber area of her bumper. 2 weeks is plenty of time to replace that. What is she claims she never hit me?

Also, the insurance company said one of the witnesses couldn't be reached by phone (whom they finally got around to phoning this week), so what happens if the witnesses are unreliable?

I have no idea what's going to happen, but I know what should happen. I should be cleared of the accident, because she drove into me. Then, the insurance company will reimburse the $300, which most likely will take a couple of weeks to get back.

Whatever happens, I'm frustrated and will know more later on today. If I haven't heard anything by 3pm, then I'll be phoning to find out what's going on.

I really need to get my new cellphone --one with a camera installed. Next time this happens, (I'm betting it'll happen again as I've had 4 close calls in the past 2 weeks aside from the actual collision) I'm taking a memory card-full of pictures. I'm sick of this crap.

No comments: