Sunday, October 22, 2006

Finally Found

It's not a common thing for me to hear a song and cry. I can think of 2 occasions in my life where I've heard a song that's played at just the right time to swing my mood or let me release some emotion.

But nothing like today.

When I was young, I remember hearing a song in a trailer for a movie. It was 1986. The song struck a chord with me back then and I couldn't find any information on the song anywhere. Being an instrumental song, it was even more difficult because I couldn't recite words to the song to anyone to see if they knew it. About a year later, I saw the trailer again only this time on a video. I got the movie, bought it, played it and read through the credits to no avail.

I bought the soundtrack (still have it) and the song was nowhere to be heard on it either.

It's a fairly fast-paced song and has a tone to it that makes me think of how life can continually throw things at you and you have to be prepared --as best you can-- when things come your way and then everything shifts and you find it all coming at you from a different direction. It also makes me think of surviving the chaos of life as long as you have people around you who love you. Imagine a teenage boy who always figured he'd be alone for the rest of his life thinking that.

This morning, in the shower, I was humming the song that I loved the first time I heard it over 20 years ago.

These days, though, finding information can sometimes be easier than it was 20 years ago and sure enough inspiration hit and I began my search and within 15 minutes my 20-year old question was answered.

"Music for a Found Harmonium" by the Penguin Cafe Orchestra.

I have a copy of the song and am listening to it right now. I've also ordered the CD from Amazon. And, yes, there are tears in my eyes as I listen to it. It's been 20 years and I've finally found it.

2 comments:

Madley said...

Of course curiousity got the best of me... what a beautiful piece! Glad you found it, I bet it feels great! :)

Dreama said...

glad to hear you found the piece!

I have a few songs that also seem to have some sort of sentimental attachment to them as well.

I made a cd the other day of all the slow songs I used to dance to as a youth...its awesome to listen to and I can almost remember all the boys I danced with for each one...almost.