Friday, May 13, 2005

The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth

Today a debate broke out in class. The teacher commented that the Death Star wouldn't blow up the way it did in Star Wars because there's no oxygen in space.

OK, a couple of points:
  1. Not sure WHY you brought this up today, bud, but I think the point you were trying to make was that you can't hear anything in space, therefore, there would be no explosion. Please, tell me that's what you meant. Because if you start into a rant about there being no oxygen in space and therefore no way for the Death Star to *combust*, then we have a problem. 'Cuz all those people on board weren't wearing oxygen tanks now, were they?
  2. Why -oh God WHY- would you dare even tihnk about starting a Star Wars debate in a class full of computer geeks?
Granted, we're all geeks. Every one of us. I know a guy, K, who could probably get some from a different girl every night if he so chose. He's got money, a very nice car, looks... and he plays video games incessantly and loves Dungeons & Dragons.

B is a pothead, but you an see the former athleticism abandoned after high school. Again, he has the looks and although he doesn't have the money, he has the drive to get it. He admits to being addicted to The Sims.

I'm not very athletic (I dabble), I'm very sociable, intelligent and if I had money I'd know what to do with it. While I can't (CAN'T) have a different woman every night, I damn well know how to treat them and treat them well (if you get my meaning). Oh, and I love comic books, Star Wars, and online RPGs.

But I will not, never oh ever get into a debate about Star Wars, Star Trek or be able to tell you which exact episode so-and-so boinked such-and-such an alien. Nope, don't care. Give me the story over the mechanics, thanks.

I don't let my inner geek shine on a daily basis. I'll show him off occasionally, when the time is right. Sometimes, it just ain't a good time.
and, yes, the few people I talk to who knew me a year ago can't believe they're actually seeing me (a more real me than I was in 2004). I've done the difficult in some ways:

I've embraced my inner geek.

2 comments:

Madley said...

heheheh I'm a big geek lover -- and a geek with a bit of atheleticism -- OOH, I'm over the moon!

GO GEEKS!

Madley said...

PS That's why I read Wil Wheaton, actor and author of "Just a Geek."

http://www.wilwheaton.net