Sunday, December 31, 2006

Last Call in 2006

I guess this is the final post for me for 2006. There's 90 minutes left (for me) until 2007 begins and I can only hope it's a damn lot better than this year's turned out.

It's kind of sad, in a way, because at the moment, there's about 10+ things I could be writing aboutin regard to the end of this year and the events of the past week, but I'm overwhelmed and out of time it seems --and that's almost fitting as a theme for the end of 2006.

Overwhelmed and out of time.

To sum up a few things:
  • Finally got to go shopping for all the gifts I didn't get for Christmas and got most of them at really good deals. The DVD I asked for was less than $10.
  • I ran into a friend I haven't seen since early Summer. She's the wife of my "close" friend, a police officer up North. Well, I'd heard a few months ago that he'd quit the force, which was a little surprising (but not completely). He's never called and told us himself and when I saw her, I waved --and she turned and walked the other way. Right now, it looks like I've alienated another group of friends in some new and mysterious way, which is getting really annoying. And depressing.
  • Speaking of depressing: We received 12 Christmas cards this year where we normally get 40+. My wife's favorite (paternal?) aunt didn't send anything this year. 4 families we usually get letters from inside the card didn't send a letter, which is also depressing because I finally convinced everyone that we needed to start sending out letters this year. Another sign of alienating people? I'm not sure, although even our church didn't give us a crad this year and I've gotten one from them every year since the mid-1990s.
  • I'm hoping my wife is PMSing right now because if her mood today is going to be a reflection of 2007, I'll be single before March rolls around. We've been fighting since 10 this morning... I'm the bad one, of course, because I'm not helping out enough even though everytime I ask if she needs help, the answer's 'No.' I'll have to resolve to work on my telepathy more in '07.
  • I've been meaning to go back to a theme with the post titles for 2007. I've narrowed it down to a few, but haven't figured out which one works best yet. I'll get there as I won't post anything after this until tomorrow sometime.
    Maybe.
  • I must still be recovering from my mystery illness on the 26th. I'm not particularly hungry these days and it's pissing off my wife (see above) because there's nothing I'm really interested in eating. Just not up to eating much... I'm sure it has nothing to do with having a multi-vomit session after 2 major turkey dinners in one day.
  • Not that I was expecting to hear much over the holidays, but the job-front is still too quiet. I had a bit of an argument with the job placement guy at my school because he said I need to follow-up on some of the leads they've sent me. See, the thing is: I send my stuff to the guy at the school and he sends it to his contact, so my only response to that guy was: "You want me to cold call and ask to speak to someone who received my demo reel from some other guy?" I never did wear the rose-colored glasses they gave me...
  • On another alienation bent, my wife has taken part in a 'Secret Sister' program at the church over the past few years. She got her 'nemesis' as her secret sister this year and she begrudgingly has sent anniversary and birthday cards as well as little holiday gifts/tokens since February. Whomever received my wife's name, though, has done "sweet F all" about it. I'll only excuse 2 people from this, though: the lady who passed away in early spring (although the coordinator should've let my wife know if it was her) ~or~ the lady whose husband died over the summer (but again with the coordinator....). At least those women have been duly distracted for the year. But again: it just feels like more alienation from within our own church, which is just as depressing as not hearing from friends.
Ah well, the year comes to a close and the horoscopes I'm not supposed to believe say it's one of the best things for me to leave 2006 behind and take 2007 and triumph.

Good advice.

And happy New Year,

No comments: