Friday, December 22, 2006

Christmas Movies

'Tis the season for ranting, apparently...

I love Christmas movies! Always have, I think. Every Christmas, I can be found curled up under a blanket, sipping hot chocolate and watching A Christmas Carol (the REAL one, with Alastair Sim), Muppets' Christmas Carol (don't ask, but I've loved this since it first came out), Scrooged, It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story, Elf, The Grinch (either version) and Miracle on 34th Street (again, the original). I'm sure Polar Express will be added to the list now too.

If I'm really bored, I'm might put up with Christmas Vacation and/or Jingle All the Way. But I have to be really bored.

So, looking forward to watching these movies either on video (own most of them) or when they're televised... except I noticed a trend on the stations we get (about 14 are showing various Christmas movies/specials).

1. A Christmas Carol.... on once, late at night (like a Midnight showing) and in color (ew!!).
2. Muppets Christmas... on one Saturday afternoon about 2 weeks ago.
3. Scrooged... haven't seen it on any of the 14 channels that regularly show Christmas movies/specials.
4. It's a Wonderful Life... on twice and scheduled again on Christmas Eve.
5. A Christmas Story... on once, another Midnight showing.
6. Elf... on once.
7. The Grinch... twice for the animated and once for the Jim Carrey version.
8. Miracle on 34th Street... haven't seen it yet, but I saw it's on Christmas Eve.
9. Polar Express... on twice.

9/10 movies and barely on... so what are the stations showing instead?
1. Jingle All the Way... on every channel at least once. One channel showed it 3 times last week.
2. Christmas Vacation... once on every channel and scheduled again Christmas night.
3. Santa Clause & Santa Clause 2... 2 channels have shown both... twice.
4. A Christmas Carol (with Jack Palance!?!?!)... on 3 channels, one of which has shown it 5 times!!
5. Family Man... (that Nicholas Cage one)... on once the first week of December.
6. Die Hard... (takes place at Christmas!) on 3 times on 2 channels.
7. Die Hard 2... (Christmas again!) on 3 times on 2 channels.
8. Chasing Christmas... one at least 4 times on 3 channels.
9. I'll Be Home for Christmas... 3 times on 2 channels.
10. I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus... 2 different channels.
11. Santa Baby... (who let Jenny McCarthy 'star' in a Christmas movie?!?!?) get this: shown 5 times this week on 3 different channels. was on 3 other channels 4 times over the past 2 weeks, and is scheduled again... twice... on Christmas Eve on 2 different channels!!

No wonder I started buying the videos to my favorites... it's the only guarantee they'll be on!

Santa Baby... seriously?

2 comments:

Madley said...

What a cool list of movies! Someday I'm going to sit down and watch a bunch too -- I love "Family Man" it was a sweet surprise for a Nicholas Cage movie.

And just because I'm an Osmond freak, I love Marie Osmond in the 1978 TV movie The Gift of Love based on an O. Henry story... :)

Off to the SF Bay Area for the holidays -- Merry Chrismas, HH!

Dreama said...

I have to say, I love Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation...it has become tradition to watch it. It was the hardest I ever saw my ex-husband laugh when he saw it for the first time years ago. Another favorite for me is Muppet Family Christmas, where they go to Fozzy Bear's mother's farm, and all the characters are there. I haven't seen it listed yet, but reckon it might be on at some point. Another old favorite is A Charlie Brown Christmas. Then if I really want to get sappy, I watch some of the Little House on the Prairie Christmas episodes...I think I gave them all to Sally Ann though last month before I moved.

I might have to check out some of the movies you mentioned now...long weekend is just 40 minutes away!!!