Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Where I R

I'm losing track of days at the moment. I've been busy, very busy, with school and it eats into a lot of my time. I'm not forsaking my family at the moment either, though, as I usually take care of the kids all afternoon and evening on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. This means if I'm working on my homework (which essentially is 6 hours' worth a day), I'm doing it until 2am or so. It works fine on Monday nights, but Tuesday nights are nasty because I have to get up to commute to school Wednesday morning at 5. So, if I'm lucky I'm getting 3 hours' sleep between 2am and 5am Wednesday morning. Yeah.... not good. Needless to say, I'm not getting much work done as I'm pretty tired these days by 1am.

The heat's not helping with sleep either. I didn't sleep at all Sunday night/Monday morning and then spent 2 extra hours at school in a meeting. It was a one-time-only meeting, so I couldn't miss it. It was with a producer from THE big company in the area and I didn't want to pass it up. WE had a good talk and I felt better afterward, but couldn't wait to get home and grab some sleep.

And, as if with traffice in the area, even leaving just after 2pm, it took 2 hours to get home. I have to write my rant on traffic very, very soon.

School's going fairly well, but I feel like I'm falling behind schedule now. Apparently, I'm supposed to have my first "item" complete for my demo reel by Monday. It was supposed to be the following Monday, but the instructor forgot when the holiday was so she moved everything up a week. Nurtz.

Technically I have 75% of my portfolio demo reel stuff done. But whether or not I have one 'complete' item.... I'm not so sure. Time will tell, I guess.

I am having difficulty with the one instructor from the class I've switched sections on twice. He has a tendency, after showing us how to do something in class, to say "give it a try." What he should say is "Do it. And I'll come around and see how you're doing with it." He doesn't, so if we feel it's not helping us with our portfolio items, we ignore it. Then he gets mad at us for not having it ready next class. And that comes with a lengthy lecture about our attitude toward work and how we're not going to make it in the industry if we don't do what we're told. Now we're getitng much more defensive about it, though. We've argued with him that he's showing us something that isn't compatible for a majority of the class and we're not seeing how it could be useful to what we're doing. If he just switched a few things around, everyone would listen to him and do what's asked of us, but for now... it doesn't fit. So it ain't happening.

Still thinking about my driving rant.

No comments: