Friday, June 09, 2006

Don't Talk To Me

One of the things really stressed into us at school is "look around." Look and see what your peers are doing right now. See what they're working on. If can make a helpful suggestion to make it look better: do it. They'll do the same for you.

And we do it. Well, a lot of us do it. We'll review each other's work and let each other know if it looks like 'ass' (which is the common term around here if it looks bad). I've had people suggest changes to some of my 3D work and they've made it better: fresh eyes. It's all about fresh eyes.

But there's always a 'but.'

One classmate, not working on the same team project as a lot of us, asked my opinion on some environment work he's doing. I liked it overall, but thought for "ancient jungle ruins" the rock looked to bright (and therefore too clean). As I was making suggestions, his friend (the BrainAge wunderkind) started yelling at me:
What gives me the right to look at other people's work?
How high and mighty am I to make suggestions and corrections?

Someone with the intelligence of salt water taffy should avoid arguments. At all costs. Especially after the lame-ass replies to my forum posts (mentioned in the previous blog entry). I lashed out.

See, when we were taught the importance of doing this (the industry as a whole can be blunt and if you can't take criticism, you're in the wrong business), because it helps us understand the critical eye and how others perceive our work (which is the whole point in doing the work in the first place). 'Loser-boy' failed that class (a class that consisted of 2 quizzes and a weekly progress report on our other classes to give us a cumulative grade) and is convinced he failed because the instructor has a crush on him.

Seems like a good time for a mental pause, yes?

I highly recommended to him, that he ask those same questions to her. I mean, if anyone will give it to him straight, it's her. She'll also probably fail him again as he still doesn't get it.

Just a few more months and I never have to see him again.

So, after this, I'm being much more selective with my 'observations.' I mean, this guy asked for my help and I helped him --just because his loser friend doesn't get it... So, the people on my team are going to get any help theyask for. They want suggestions, I'll give them suggestions (if they need it). If I want help, they'll be the first ones I'm going to. Anyone else comes up: don't talk to me. I'm not there for you.

No comments: