Thursday, May 18, 2006

Little Bit of Good

I've had 2 bags sitting in my basement for a few years. One for about 3 or 4 years and the other one for nearly 2 years. They were both duffle bags from work. Both were used for a change of clothes after working out in the fitness room.

I didn't want them anymore. They're just taking up space.

I wasn't sure what to do with them. Should I toss them in the trash? Should I put them on the curb for 'Spring Cleanup' and let someone pick them up? It was then I thought about taking them down to one of the thrift stores and donating them. Have some money go to a good cause.

About a week later, though, I had a better idea.

A friend of mine is going to Guatemala this summer as part of a church missions trip. He's one of 25 people going and they're taking part in ministry towards people living in a shanty-town on top of a city dump. The kids go out daily and collect items from the dump to sell.

Imagine how handy a duffle bag would be to carry things? Something that would sell in a thrift store for a couple dollars is worth a fortune down there. One of the bags is quite large. If one of the kids tried filling it with items, they probably wouldn't be able to carry it!

So, the bags are carrying much-needed supplies and toys for the kids. The bags will stay in Guatemala afterward. And they're being used the bast way possible as far as I'm concerned.

I won't deny I struggle with my faith. I wouldn't say 'daily,' but it's close. Sometimes all I need is a little sign telling me I'm doing the right thing.

So, today, as I got the bags ready to go to my friend, I picked up the smaller one and saw something reflecting light inside. Here in the corner of the bag, partially hidden under the seam, was a gold tie-clip my wife gave me for our first anniversary. I thought it long lost all these years. It was sitting in my basement for 4 years. And to think I probably wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't finally decided to use those bags for something good.

Feeling much better now.

1 comment:

Dreama said...

what a nice story. My sister goes yearly on a youth trip to Mexico with her church too, and brings down treats for the children, along with needed supplies. This year she brought bubbles.

There is something to be said about fate...it has certainly played a part in my life and how things work out.