Monday, May 15, 2006

Endpoint

My parents packed up their stuff and left this morning. They most likely won't be back. We had a final blow-up and the relationship is definitely severed now. Don't expect me to look to mend fences anytime soon. Not in the mood.

As if the "ignoring your kids" on Mother's Day wasn't enough, my parents started an entirely new "bad idea" late yesterday.

When they got home late last night (late being just before my daughter's bedtime), they started talking about all the dolls and Barbie stuff they plan on bringing down "now that [they] have a granddaughter."

In front of my daughter. They said it in front of my daughter.

So, while cradling her and wiping tears away, I explained to her that it's important to remember who's special little girl she is. And who's special little granddaughter she is. If someone doesn't see her for who she is, they don't deserve to get to know just how special she is. There's people who love her to bits and will always be there for her.

Just not my parents.

I'm used to the crap my parents throw around. I've been around long enough that it doesn't even stick anymore (and anything they say to me just passes by as unimportant). They can attack me and I'll shrug it off. They can attack my wife and I'll stand up to them. They attack my children... and they're not allowed in the same house. Ever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have kicked them out, too.

Anna

Dreama said...

that is nasty. When my mother was a bitch to my daughter in an e-mail, I cut her off too for many months. I could take her abuse and have for many years but she didn't know what hit her when I lashed out at her for being nasty to my daughter. I changed my phone number, e-mail, and moved without giving her my new address. I was serious! We still have a strained relationship, and I won't forgive her for the whole situation, but I couldn't handle not seeing or hearing from my dad, so choked down the evil she spewed and reconnected many months later.

Anonymous said...

Bravo to you!!