Wednesday, August 16, 2006

You call that an interview?

Interview
n 1: the questioning of a person (or a conversation in which information is elicited); often conducted by journalists; "my interviews with teen-agers revealed a weakening of religious bonds" 2: a conference (usually with someone important); "he had a consultation with the judge"; "he requested an audience with the king" [syn: consultation, audience] v 1: conduct an interview in television, newspaper, and radio reporting [syn: question] 2: discuss formally with (somebody) for the purpose of an evaluation; "We interviewed the job candidates" 3: go for an interview in the hope of being hired; "The job candidate interviewed everywhere"
So, I have my exit interview tomorrow as school is quickly coming to a close. Some of my classmates, knowing my lengthy work experience, asked me just what an exit interview was all about. So, I explained to them that it was basically a 'post-mortem' of someone's career: what was good, what was bad... how improvements can be made.

The career counsellors at my school apparently don't know the definition of 'interview.' Some classmates had their 'interview' today, which consisted of 15 minutes of "facts" from the counsellors (including the large percentage of grads from June who are now employed... 2 of them as grocery clerks) and then 30 minutes of signing contracts, release forms, and such.

So much for questions and answers.... idiots.

I know one guy who's asked them not to bother helping him find a job.

1 comment:

Madley said...

That guy rocks.