Saturday, August 26, 2006

When Things go Wrong

Y'know.... "wrong" doesn't quite cut it. Horribly wrong is a bit better.

Friday was the big presentation day for our production. I was up with a few others, working on last minute things and, in my case, ensuring that the individuals who'd slacked off and delayed everything for weeks paid some penance. One didn't bother to show up until after 10pm and the other whined (seriously!) about having to be there after 10pm. I made him stay 'til 3 and the other slacked and watched movies more than anything and I ended up making the fixes myself... if you want it done right...

I was a little annoyed that out of the 20 people in our group, only 5 of us were working and 4 of them needed to be there. I could have been sleeping, but I knew I wouldn't sleep no knowing where our production would end up. I was up for over 24 hours and some of the others were probably awake for 36+. Except for the 2 slackers.

When presentation time hit everything fell apart. My presentation was only so-so (I was a nervous wreck and mentally, physically & emotionally exhausted) but the technical side of it completely blew and I mean that almost literally. The computer couldn't handle it and it died a horrible, horrible death.

With me standing there trying to present it.

I'm incredibly disheartened, completely disillusioned and extremely tempted to pack it in. I"m supposed to be working on my graduation portfolio and this B.S. ate into my time severely.

Can I throw away 17 months of work?

2 comments:

Dreama said...

Honestly Hoser, when I look back on my years in university, all those crap presentations, exams I bombed, assignments I screwed up...they are all a blur and none of my employers even asks about my education other than where did you go. Don't throw it away, pick up the pieces and move on, leaving it all far behind you as you embark on your new career...

Madley said...

Ditto what Sky said (Hi there, Sky!) :)