Thursday, August 17, 2006

Call Me Grumpy

Reading another blog (hey brat) about complaining and not being able to do anything about it and had to share a story from yesterday's production class and how I got a little too 'shouty' with some of the people... who'd probably just end up fired if this were the real world.

We've been having a problem with the overall 'layout' of our production. The file is only available to one person at a time, and technically, we only have one person working on it. A few weks ago, we encountered a major problem and we needed to delete the majority of the contents of the file and re-import each piece with an extra piece of coding. Time-consuming, for sure, and the rest of this poor guy's tasks have taken a backseat while we fix this problem.

For my graduation portfolio, I'm using the same program and I discovered I can have more than one instance of the program open at the same time and work on one aspect in one window and somethign completely different in the other. As long as I save them under different file names, I can then copy and paste from one to the other later on. So, now we know that more than person can work on the file at one time. My immediate subordinates were ecstatic because it meant that we can effectively increase productivity by 500% at the least. I also did some research and found a quick fix to the problem we encountered before which meant I could fix the problem in 30 minutes instead of the 6 weeks it's taken this one guy.

Another guy is supposed to be helping him with the file and he's been slacking as normal (see, I said they'd be fired). Well, I sit down to talk to these two about the fixes we've found and how to best implement them and what they can expect to happen over the next week (our production is almost on schedule and is set to wrap on August 25).

They both knew about the fixes months ago. They just didn't think anyone would care.

I.
Could.
Kill.

6 weeks we've been waiting on a major fix that should have taken 30 minutes and they knew.

17 weeks we've been waiting for a major compilation of the file and they knew. The knew they could have several people work on it and they failed to tell anyone. Geez!

And people wonder why I was yelling at them.

2 comments:

Madley said...

Hang in there, HH! You're so close, and murder -- as justified as it may be -- would just be such a bummer at this point in the process... :)

Dreama said...

I bet you can smell the end of your program by now...