Monday, April 24, 2006

Handing Out Reality Checks


I've mentioned before that I'm the "fearless" leader of our program as we being work on our 6-month-long graduating project...

I'm amazed, nearly 1/6 of the way through this project, how many people in the group just don't get it.

This is one of two things we do in our final 6 months to get a job in the industry. It's a tough industry to get into and it's in a bit of a lull right now. So much so, that when we graduate, we're competing with the previous 2 (or 3) graduating classes... AND the recently-laid off professionals... AND anyone else who has the talent (without the education) OR is coming from another school! And I've got a number of people who are just acting lazy about the whole thing.

One guy, I consider him a friend, has completely vanished off MSN since he promised to have some work to me by Wednesday night. Hmmm. 12:50am on Monday and still nothing. Am I pissed? YES. It's a key document for our project and everyone on the team relies on it know what we're working on. And he just doesn't seem to be able to get it done on time. Then there's another list a different guy needs to come up with... Oh, he's sent it to me... But he only did about a third of the work. He listed things out, but instead of listing 5 of one thing, he only said there was a specific thing with a "5" written beside it. And no descriptions. We need descriptions!! And his response? "Well, that's a lot more work than I want to do."

Rrrggg. Lazy ass.

Then I hear from one guy tonight that the 3 people he was relying on to submit some work to him today... well, 1 handed in a third of his work, the other 2 did nothing. Nothing.

What are they thinking? We graduate and some company is going to pay them in excess of $50k to submit things late, wrong, or not-at-all? I mean, come on!!!

Usually around the 8th week of a semester, I get sick and tired of it and just want it to end already.... tomorrow, week 4 begins.

On Wednesday night, when we get together to work on our project again, reality sets in. With all the work that needs to get done and doesn't get done, then people pay for it. How? There's 20 people in our group. There's one leader. And he grades them on a weekly basis... failures mean getting kicked out of the program --with less than 6 months to go.

Reality sets in Wednesday... I've already decided on grades for 7 people.

1 comment:

Dreama said...

I hate group work. That is all I have to say about that.