Saturday, March 26, 2005

Cure for a Common Complaint

I'm having one of those weekends where nearly everything is making my brain bubble and I'm about ready to explode.

Some readers know about my history with doing work around the house (never a good thing) and the damage I've done.

I *think* I mentioned in an earlier blog entry about my basement toilet exploding. Well, we did go out and get a replacement, but times being busy and when it's not so busy I've been taking care of the kids, so it's been at least 6 weeks since the downstairs toilet flushed it's last flush.

So, enter Mr. Fix-it to remove toilet-the-broke and install toilet-the-new.

Removing the broken toilet, took about an hour with one minor break for cursing and swearing as I had to contort myself around the bowl to unscrew a few bolts and with my sore neck it was quite painful.

But I did it. I removed said offensive (and plum-broke) toilet and opened the box to pull out the new and improved flusher.

Now, bear with me for second as any women reading this may not/most likely wouldn't understand what a toilet means to a man. A toilet is like a bath for a woman. It's our chance to break away from reality, relax, and enjoy the moment. It's an opportunity to sit, hopefully uninterrupted, and catch up on the newspaper --or a good book. Hell, even just to be able to sit and think in solitude is great. And my basement bathroom also has a powerful heater which means it's time to relax, read, and warm up on those cold winter nights. Needless to say, I've missed my Fortress of Solitude over the past few weeks. And it's been 2 years since my father decided the shower (the only one with enough water pressure in the house) needed renovating (he's promised to finish it this spring...). I need my Fortress and now it was mere moments (an hour maybe?) away.

Then I opened the box to reveal a toilet in about a thousand pieces.

See, this is where the brain explodes.

Now I have to figure out if the store will take it back despite the over 30 days issue. I'm without a toilet. REALLY without a toilet.

*sniff!*

No comments: