Thursday, July 08, 2004

My Bitz


My new computer parts should be arriving today.  Got an email confirmation late last night that everything had shipped.  The only thing I'm miffed about is that I had everything shipped out here because a friend of mine in an old department is a computer-wiz and said he'd install the hard-drive and DVD-burner for me.  So, the stuff arrives today and I said I'd bring my computer in tomorrow (didn't know the items had shipped until early this morning!!) , he replied saying he wouldn't be in the office again until next week. 

But I'm not here next week!!  GAH!

So, now I have to drive everything to his place (and he just moved another 35km further away) in order to finally have a real computer to use at home while I'm on vacation.  Yeah, I said home.  I'm telling everyone around the office that I'm out of town the day I leave, but I'm actually not going anywhere until the 26th or so.  My boss mentioned I should block the work number on my cell phone as he's getting antsy with my accumulation of overtime hours (on the first day of vacation a phone call equals 4 hours of work and from the second day of vacation on, it equals 8 hours).  And my last day off, I had 4 phone calls (16 hours for a day off!!).  So, I took 2 days off to get rid of some of my overtime and ended up adding another 2+ days...  Whatever.  I can't be without the computer for my entire holidays.  Come Hell or high water, I WILL have stuff on eBay before the end of the month!!

All other plans are pretty much moot right now.  Anything I want to work on is idling because it all revolves around the computer and the Celeron 300 just ain't cutting it.  I had it running for 24 hours and it lost over 3 hours on the clock.  Norton SystemWorks shows it's running at 99% with no programs open (it used to be at 30% if you moved the mouse across the screen), so it's losing memory somewhere.  Unless the firewall eats up a lot of memory, there's something wrong with it too.  Regardless, when newer computer's fixed, then I add in Norton Anti-Virus and do a major-major-major update followed by an installation of the firewall.  Then I can start moving goodies over from the old pig and start anew.

I feel like I'm dying right now...


No comments: