Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The One About My Morning Train

I've had a lot of friends ask me if I ever thought about taking a train into the Vancouver area instead of the daily commute of 90 minutes. I know my drive isn't always great as I always seem to come across accidents, heavy congestion, and pretty much anything aside from planes falling from the sky in an effort to block my way to work. To go 65km (just over 40 miles) in 90 minutes, well, SUCKS!

I have a carpool buddy who has helped get the drive down to just over an hour (thanks to the HOV lane), but now with gas hitting a new "all-time" (soon to be a theme-of-the-week) high, it's looking like driving to work would cost me $250 a month. Um, yikes!!

So, after debating the issue late last week and watching the gas continue to climb (for my American readers, gas right now is close to $6 a gallon in my region) we decided this week would be the beginning of the train commute. Taking the train costs nearly $100 a month less.

I like less. Friday's commute was another horrible one, taking nearly 2 hours to get home thanks to all that crappy traffic. Enough is enough. It's time to take the train!

Tuesday morning turned into "day one" of the train commute. No more accidents for me, right?

Right.

Any of my regular readers (hi, you two!) notice I worked in my last 3 blog themes into the title? Didn't think so....

2 comments:

Dreama said...

I would definitely choose the train over that nasty commute...think of the books you could pour over during that train commute!

Madley said...

Very clever, HH! (Still around reading, but I'm not posting/commenting much... too much crap in my head right now.)

Jealous of the train commute though... no wait, I don't have a commute because... wait... I don't have a job!

But I do live in the capital of Bad Traffic. Bleech!

Wishing you well :)