Saturday, September 11, 2004

My 5%

Apparently, a few weeks back, my boss decided to diss me in front of the other staff in the department. Not a good thing to hear when I'm waiting to hear on a promotion. The good news is I heard it from Drama Queen, so who knows if he actually said that.

Regardless, I've also applied for a position outside of the department, one of my old, old, old jobs from years ago. While this job has its perks --special events, major projects that really build character, and a strong supervisory role; my old, old, old job doesn't have any of those traits and is simply a straight-forward office job. I'm 95% convinced I'll take the job back if it's offered to me again.

So, what is the 5% that could hold me back? Well, if I'm offered the job, I want to talk to my boss before I accept the old, old, old job. I want to know if he actually did insult me in front of my co-workers. If he did --I'm gone. If he didn't, then he knows that people are putting words in his mouth which doesn't make him look good. The 5% is if my boss says I'm in for the promotion. I'm not holding out hope though.

See, after the past 2 weeks, the 5% has started to vanish. Last week saw me put in 36 hours of overtime. That's more hours of OT than I'm actually allowed to work at a regular full-time basis. 71 working hours in one week. 203% full-time work. Too much.

We were all focusing on 2 major events for the week and all other priorities (and there were plenty) fell by the wayside. We needed to focus, and DQ waiting until the last minute on several items meant that I had to pull everyone's fat out of the fire yet again. Somehow I managed to fit in hiring My New Kids too.

And then this week, I start getting dumped on for the things that didn't --COULDN'T-- get done last week. Little things --some that could wait, others that shouldn't have to. Then my boss started in on me too. "Why wasn't this done?" Why? Because it's sitting on his desk waiting for approval. Why didn't he approve it yet? Too focused on the events of last week. He wasn't the only one, but apparently he's too blind to notice. But I'm the only one who did wrong, right?

My 5% has vanished. I should know by next week whether I stay or go.

No comments: