Saturday, February 16, 2008

Pressure

I do like this job, don't get me wrong. I just had bad timing for my arrival. I started during a 2-week deadline crunch, which meant instead of 2 full days of training, I got 5 days of spotty, a-minute-here and a-minute-there 'orientation' to my new job. It's similar enough to my last job that it's fairly easy to pick up, but the pressure's on for deadlines, one of which was supposed to be yesterday.

Add to this problem that I'm taking the train almost everyday, except days when I can use my wife's car (more about that later in another post!) and come in for overtime. And, due to some funky labour laws for the entertainment industry, overtime does not mean I get paid extra... In fact, I don't get paid at all as we're all on salary.

Part of our job performance, I've been warned, is based on how much overtime you put in. And therein lies the problem. I can't put much 'OT' in as the train has a very specific schedule and if I stay too late, it definitely becomes TOO LATE. Fortunately for me, coming in early is actually a benefit to the team as I can prep 70+ people on their tasks before anyone else arrives.

So, today I'm waiting by the phone for them to ask me to come in. The only big issue is that they'll expect me there quickly, but driving a car takes 90 minutes.

Lots of pressure.

1 comment:

Dreama said...

I could not imagine commuting so far for a job. Ever. I would either move or find a different job.

Good luck settling into the new job.