Sunday, December 30, 2007

The One With Some Post-Christmas Shopping

Despite completing all my Christmas shopping ONLINE and EARLY, I still somehow found myself at the shopping mall on December 26th.

I had a gift card for Sears and I was intending on using it and picking up either a new pair of jeans, new running shoes, or both.

My shoes were "new" back at my old job (From Hell!), which means I bought them in 2003. They have holes in the sides and just scream "old". Scream of a bad smell too, but I digress...

I have 2 pair of jeans left these days since I've put on all the weight I lost in the job From Hell. If I can shed a couple inches, I have 6 pair of jeans waiting for me. At the moment, I have one semi-faded (and fairly thin) pair of Nevada jeans and a pair of Levi's that got a bleach stain on the back of one knee and have worn through. Obviously, new jeans are needed ASAP!

I hit Sears and spent about 20 minutes trying on different styles of jeans before deciding on a fairly decent pair that are a bit on the darker side than I usually wear, but they have that semi-stylish greenish/fade thing happening too. They're not like my other jeans and that was their big redeeming factor, really. I still try to break out of my clothing rut every Christmas (when crappy sweaters usually prevail as gifts --why do people insist on buying sweaters with horizontal striping for me!?!?). Sears had virtually everything on sale after Christmas and I did look at several shirts before finally acknowledging anyone sized Small would have a grand old time, but anyone a little heftier was at a loss. I have to say 'virtually everything' because I discovered when I finally made it to a cashier that my jeans were most likely the only item in the store inventory NOT on sale. Alas, since it was going on a gift card (thanks Mom), I bought them anyway.

I next went to check out the shoes. I saw very little in the way of running shows for men, and those that I did see were surrounded by an East Indian family and I thought better of trying to nab a pair of shoes from the middle of the family... So, no new shoes yet!! That's okay, though, as it's Winter and my black shoes and winter boots will do for a while.

No post-Christmas sale time is complete without adding to the DVD collection. Why I let my wife in on this, I'll never know as she still has "favorite" movies I got her for special occasions that are still in their shrink wrap from years ago. I picked up just over a half-dozen movies this year:
1. The Matrix. I had the tape, but for $3.50 it was a deal, as were the two sequels (even though I couldn't stand the 3rd one)
2. The Matrix Reloaded... see above. Another $3.50 "bargoon."
3. The Matrix Revolutions. Purely to "complete the set". For $3.50 I'll do it.
4. Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. Loved the movie and the books, for a steal at $5! Besides, I know a Newfie, so the captain always makes me giggle!
5. 9-to-5. I actually picked this up for my Dad either for Father's Day or his birthday. He loved this movie when it came out, so for $5 it makes a great (and cheap!) gift.
6. Star Trek: Nemesis. It was $5 and I know I saw it. I just can't remember a bloody thing about it!

I also happened upon a copy of Sarah McLachlan's 'Wintersong' album for $4 and snatched it up right quick! I love her singing. It's pure bonus that she sings 'The River' (I love Joni Mitchell's original) and even better is a duet (of sorts) with Diana Krall on 'Christmastime is Here.' I'll be enjoying that tomorrow while I take care of the kids for the day!

I'll also be prepping my final post for 2007 and getting ready to publish a little thing about Africa.... along with my new theme for '08.

No comments: