Sunday, December 16, 2007

The One with the 7-10 Splits?

Between the little health-scare and continuing commuting stress... piled on top of people quitting left, right, and center without any acknowledgment of what my future in the department held, this past week I was about ready to walk into my boss' office and give notice. I have 2 quotes out for web design projects that almost equal 6 months' pay at my current job. And getting sick in a bad way wasn't doing much for my motivation.

So, I made it to my boss' office door when he asked me to join him in the cafeteria. He grabbed some papers and we made our way to sit down and discuss my lack of future with the company.

And then he handed me a new job offer. With a 20% raise. And loads of benefits.

I didn't sign it. Right away, anyway. I made him sweat for a day. And I do mean sweat! He actually was perspiring by the time we finished our little meeting. He knew then just how unhappy I was, but also how powerless he was in fixing the problems --for the most part. He fixed the communication issue right away, but commuting stress is all mine to deal with.

The reason I accepted the offer was the 20% pay increase. I still want out, sooner rather than later. If they're willing to pay me 20% more while I make my escape, then so be it. I'll take it!

So, is the end? Am I having some satisfaction around the office? No, not really.

Things stirred up the very next day. One of the guys I'd worked closely with over the Summer quit in September and moved to the company that was always at the top of my list when I was in school. But being the best company on my list also means it's virtually impossible to get in to a job there. You really need someone on the inside who will vouch for you.

Just like my former co-worker who started there in September!

The very next day after signing the offer sheet, I got a phone call informing me that he'd recommended me for a similar job at the better company. Better company also means better pay. Better company also means a longer commute... but it's better too!

See, where I'm working now, I have to get off the train before it hits the final station, then grab a bus to take me to the skytrain, before moving along that route to take yet another bus! This better company is at the end of the train route and the station also joins up with the skytrain station, which sends me on my way to within 2 blocks of my office in 10 minutes. So, while my morning commute start time doesn't change, I get to take the train on a longer, faster trip and not have to worry about missing connections to and from home!

That I get to sit by the hotties in Car 4 for an extra 30 minutes is just an added bonus. :)

For now, I'm still with the company I've been with since March. By mid-January, it could all change again.... and all for the better.

No comments: