Thursday, November 17, 2005

Cheeky Monkey

Busy time.... busy-busy-busy. Lots to talk about too.

Latest life drawing course is over-and-out in 3 more Thursdays. It also means in 3 weeks I basically give up drawing sweet-EFF-all for the remaining 9 months of school. Not really looking forward to it. I'm one of 2 students continuously singled out in class because of the "quality" of my work. In quotes 'cuz the instructor actually uses quality to describe it *blush!*

My comrade-in-quality is also an "older" student at the ripe old age of 28. She's graduated with a degree in fine arts, but is no further ahead in life than me (and I won't warn her it doesn't get any easier). We sit side-by-side in life drawing, but may change it up a bit next week simply because we're getting a little sick of the poses we're seeing.

We're seeing a lot of butts.

OK, seriously, I counted today after the 5th pose where the model was looking away from us and toward other students. 144 cheeks have made their way into my sketchbook since October.

One hundred and forty-four.

Cheeks.

I didn't even bother drawing some of the poses today because I've seen them all before..

[note: never, never, EVER, never did I think I'd ever say I've seen enough of naked butts]

Some classmates thought I was exagerrating, until they watched the model get into a pose (which she held for 15 minutes) -yes, with her back to me-- I looked at the pose once, then proceeded to draw it out, complete with proper musculature (teres major, minor, deltoids, etc.). Never looked at her for the rest of the drawing. No need. I've memorized the bloody back (& butt).

I'm bombing one course so far, but I'm hoping the latest assignment will bring up my mark. I spent 27 hours "tweaking" a 3D model and he only made on correction during the class critique. So, hopefully... Everything else seems to be progressing fine. The 3D computer program & I have a hate/hate relationship and I've managed to stump 2 instructors with problems I've encountered. Great. This could very well be the future I've mapped out for myself...

What else?

I've resigned from my positions in the church. No time and getting less every day. I'll finish out the year and then part ways most likely for a few years.

My wife had an interview for one of my old jobs. She didn't get it and the 3 co-workers she would have worked with are all upset about the decision. Why none of them volunteered to be on the hiring committee, I don't know.... Typical.

So much thought into one of my old jobs brought back the nightmares for a few days. Kept dreaming I was getting called into the office to help them find things (it's been a year, you'd think they'd have found the stuff by now!). I also had one dream where I found out my boss had killed his wife (in reality she died of cancer) and he was trying to kill me now that I knew. It was a crazy adventure of a dream and I woke up shaking.

A major mailing list I'm on... how do I put this? I'm *part* of a major mailing list for my old university. We talk virtually daily, but about 2 weeks ago I just stopped. I was good for a few quips every week, but it seems the last few comments were taken the wrong way or just completely ignored and I just haven't bothered to post anything else to anyone. Dreama is a part of that group and I haven't commented on her cross-Canada adventures either. Nothing against Dreama, though. She's still near-and-dear to me, even if she attempts to wear sandals in the Yukon.... I just don't feel up to talking to the rest of them right now.

I've kind of had that "screw you" attitude over a few things in the past few weeks. "Latina Lady" didn't reply to a few emails, so I can't be bothered to try anymore. A couple former co-workers were excited to get in touch with me again, but suddenly stopped emailing as well, so again: screw 'em.

I've even turned on a few classmates recently. Hate doing it, but I'm finding them just plain disruptive and annoying during lectures and a detriment to my education. Shut-up or go away. We've started 2 project groups recently. One for our graduating project (yep, 9 months from now!) and one for a term project. We have one guy who "joined" himself to our term group and everyone else thought I was going to punch him out in the middle of class. He's got some good ideas, he's eager and energetic, he's willing to work. He just can't process a thought and makes the simplest tasks complicated. This guy would make buying property difficult in Monopoly.

I think that's enough to tide everyone over for now. All 2 of you.

I'm still working on a mega-post (it's actually in 'edit' mode!) for the end of 2005 explaining a theme I've had going all year. It's a lot of work as I've had nearly 250 posts.

250 posts and not much happening. Sad.

4 comments:

Madley said...

Hi there, Reader #1 (or #2) reporting in for duty, and so grateful to hear about your school adventures! So glad ONE of us is actually studying...

I have a question about drawing the butts though... are the models different sizes and shapes? Don't butts look different, like some you can't even FIND any musculature? (HAHAH that would like MY FLAT FAT ass)

It sounds like you're in a good mode though... actually probably started with your leaving your job last year... it's called DEFINING YOUR LIFE FOR YOURSELF, calling your own damn shots. And people who yak, distract and don't fit... well, the Universe just kinda Calgon's them away. Thank Goodness.

Don't forget to write on your other blog too... I'd like to see at least SOME of those derrieres.

Ciao and... you don't have Thanksgiving there, do you? And hi Dreama too!)

Madley said...

Correction: I'd like to see some of those "QUALITY" derrieres! :)

Dreama said...

I only wore sandals from the aiport to the hotel, through the snow...now I am sporting bare feet in my winter boots. As for the Link, I think I missed something. If anything, I think the group is just bored and restless right now, but who knows. Haven't seen much chatter going on lately. You weren't the only one who didn't comment on my trek. No one did. Hmph...s'alright, no offense taken.

So you sound a little sour these days. Your program doesn't agree with you? Sounds like you're doing well though, congrats on the butt drawings...wish I could see Matthew McConnaughey's butt right now, particularly since People voted him the sexiest for the year...pant, pant, pant...ok, have to go.

Dreama said...

oh yes, and hi to Madley!