Monday, July 11, 2005

One Week

Fine, it's been a week since I last posted but the illness did me in during my first week back at school. My "break" seemed to be over in a blink and suddenly I'm back at it.

Apologies for the rambling thoughts below...

The workload for the second quarter of my program is definitely lighter. I've had 2 hours' homework from the first week. Last quarter, after the first week, I had 20+ hours... I also managed (yay!) to condense my schedule into 3 days a week instead of 4 or more. I had 3 half-days and one full day. I now have 2 full days and one half day (can't be avoided). Basically, it means one more day at home to work on eBay stuff (yay?) and even more important: 120km (80 miles for my American friends) are now knocked OFF my weekly commute. Between stop-start traffic and the distance, that's the equivalent of half a tank of gas too!

I applied for work at school too. I scheduled a sit-down with the employment advisor to see my option for finding work around my school schedule and she misunderstood me to mean "finding work AROUND THE SCHOOL." No matter, there's 2 jobs available that I'd be happy to do on the days I'm there already for class. It would be great if everything worked out. More money = always good!

One of my classes is 'Life Drawing' which basically means staring at a naked body for 3-4 hours. And, yeah, we had a guy on the first day. Not really an issue (the benefits of being "mature") until I saw him one moment in shorts and grabbed my supplies to draw and looked up to see.... well, you know. The instructor did ask where my training in life drawing had been before (thinking maybe I'd gone to an art school beforehand like one of my classmates) and I admitted I'd never had any formal training (no training at all actually) in life drawing. These teachers are very skilled at stroking the ego, that's for sure!!

I just finished posting a message on another list and it stirred up quite a few memories from senior high. Kinda strange, because it's been nearly 15 years since I graduated from high shool and some of my friends I haven't thought if in... nearly 15 years!!

It's July 11 and we've had more than the average July rainfall already. It's looking like a sucky July to be sure. It's sunny at the moment, but a closer look also shows the light rain falling at the same time. Crap. Wrote "sunny" and now it's disappeared behind more rainclouds.... It's the mix of sun and rain that makes the veggies in our garden either die or -like our celery and rhubarb- grow to over six feet in height.

There's a rabbit eating the taller grass in our front lawn. He's definitely wild... he's got that look in his eyes.

STILL playing the addicting online game. My skills haven't improved much, but there's definite progress everytime I play. I'd be playing right now, but I'm watching my darling children instead. So, instead, while I'm "watching" them (they're transfixed with cartoons at the moment) I'm researching different aspects of the game and... writing about really useless stuff.

Yay me.

OK, I've run out of useless things to talk about.

1 comment:

Madley said...

Like the line about stroking the ego after seeing... you know!

Congrats on your lighter schedule!