Monday, July 18, 2005

Ain't Nothing

With my 3-day work week and ideas buzzing about all the time, you'd think there'd be a plethora of posts, right?

Well, obviously --no.

Even the crappy weather we've had (one super-hot and humid day followed by a week of rain)

In fact, I think my posts of late have been more about rambling thoughts and basically getting down any thought that crosses my mindbefore it goes away again. I do have one post I want to do, but I'm finding it difficult to write as it's emotional --and really has nothing to do with me directly.

Sometimes those ideas don't come back.

I think I mentioned my super-high marks for the script I had to write last semester. One of my plans was to expand on the idea further over my "summer" break. It was an idea I had about a comic book and I'd never really put any of it in writing before, but just kept the ideas bouncing back and forth in my head. It's been about 10 years since I've had to do any serious creative writing. I'd written two 1-act plays in college and received high marks for both.

Of course, now the question entering my train of thought is: What have I been doing for the past 10 years???

Getting sidetracked again. I didn't expand on the script or even try to work it out logically as a comic book. I think part of the problem right now is that I have a general plot laid out. I have my characters all together (although some still don't have a backstory) and I know who's doing what and when.

But I also have 3, 4, maybe even 5 beginnings to the story. I'm wondering if it's overkill to fit them into a single issue, basically looking at the event from various points of view. I could do it, but then I'm also missing another vital part of the story. I have the beginning(s), I have the end (actually 2, which means I can make a choice as to where the story goes), but I have nothing in between. I'm thinking that the story would be played out in 12 parts --a year-long story, which fits the plot. But with several points to start from, I could possibly have enough material to begin up to 5 parts of the 12-part story. I know one "beginning" definitely starts quite some time after another. One other start easily can be hinted at in the first part and then expanded into part 2.

Well, like I said: rambling thoughts and one more distraction should do me in for the day. The kids are screaming, so I have to cut this short.

Again.

No comments: