Friday, July 22, 2005

Me Like Hockey

We're maybe 16 minutes away from the NHL 2005 entry draft and highly-touted pick Sidney Crosby is up for the taking.

Technically, any team could land him in the lottery (that's what happens instead of a normal draft order when there's no hockey for an entire year). He's expected to eventually beat Gretzky's records. All of them? Hard to say, but some of them is enough promise for some hapless teams...

I'm watching the sports news right now and chuckling at the text messages coming in from all over Canada. These people, save one from what I saw, have no clue. They're al hoping Crosby goes to their team. It's not going to happen.

Sidney Crosby is going to the New York Rangers for several reasons.
1. Despite the lottery, it will be fixed to have the Rangers win it all.
2. They're the biggest hockey market on the continent.
3. They're losing fans because they haven't made the playoffs with their gigantic salaries in 7 seasons.
4. Personally, I hate the New York Rangers, which means I have to suffer years of watching Crosby play for them. Ugh!

If any other team gets him, I'll be shocked.

I'm hoping if he ends up with another team, it isn't:
*New York Rangers
*Calgary Flames
*St. Louis Blues
*Florida Panthers
*Buffalo Sabres
*Toronto Maple Leafs (they already think they're at the center of the universe)
*Detroit Red Wings
*Dallas Stars
*Philadelphia Flyers
Oh, and whichever teams end up with Brett Hull and/or Jeremy Roenick. Can't stand to listen to either of those guys...

9 minutes to go...

Updated: Well, phew!!

VERY happy to see Pittsburgh get the chance to draft Crosby! I cheered when the Rangers ended up 16th instead of in the top 5. I rubbed my hands in greedy anticipation when my beloved Canucks were in the top 10 (and really didn't deserve to be in the top 25 after the success they've had recently). And then I got worried when I realized there were 2 teams left and the Mighty Ducks were one of them.

Although it would serve Disney right for selling the team and then the team gets one of the best general managers in the league followed by a franchise player in the very next entry draft. Didn't *quite* work out, but GM Brian Burke's still in a beautiful place. I'm sure he's not moping about with the near-win with Crosby. He still has a good pick at #2 and also picks #31 (1st pick in round 2).

And now I've officially bored my regular readers.... :)

No comments: