Sunday, August 10, 2008

Survive

After the odd "job recommendation" I got a few weeks back, I was quite concerned about the future of my job. I knew there were "big changes coming" at work and my fear was that those changes wouldn't include me. Even after my boss told me my contract renewal was 99.9% ensured, I had a feeling that 0.1% had compounding interest.

So, as the end of July loomed, I was pretty much convinced it was time to pack up my belongings and say goodbye to my new friends. Upon hearing that we could be losing a good percentage of the people at work as part of the "big change," I did start bringing stuff home. There were plenty of goodbye messages from other people in my inbox, people who were about to leave on holidays who felt they weren't coming back and were leaving contact information. I got the same email ready to send out as well.

Just before hitting 'send' at the end of July, my boss called me into her office. "here it is," I thought, "the end is here." Instead, she had my contract extension sitting in front of me.

I'm safe and I've survived. I worry, however, about the friends I've made. Will they last too?

Despite my survival, I did apply for the recommended job. If it happens (and I don't think it will), there'll be more "big changes" coming.... especially in my life.

1 comment:

Dreama said...

congrats on the job renewal...safe for another chunk of months.