Thursday, August 14, 2008

Bat

I learned a valuable lesson this week while taking the morning train to work. When I see something that may, in any situation, freak people out... it's best not to act casual about it.

See, on Monday I was sitting and vegging, listening to music on my phone when the Train Hottie next to me started leaning in closer. A little odd, to be sure, but I was fine with it. Until I realized she was almost sitting on my arm.

And getting closer.

OK, music is off. Earphones are down. "What's up?" I ask. The Train Hottie looks at me --still getting closer, says "I think there's a bird down the stairs." So, I lean out and over as the Train Hottie is now just about completely in my seat. Yes, indeed, there's something flying around down there.

Wait. No feathers, lightly flapping leathery wings. "That's not a bird," I say, "That's a bat." And I lean back in my seat.

OK, big lessons learned:
  1. Don't point out the obvious when people freak out about bats.
  2. Don't point out a freaky bat and then casually plan to go back to listening to music on your phone.
  3. Don't say "That's a bat" as the freakin' thing flies up the stairs. People will scream.
Naturally, there was many things that could've gone better. But, the point of the story is not to act so casual. I've never seen a train empty so quickly when we finally got to the station.

I stayed behind for a bit because I didn't want to head down the stairs to early and have people think I was a pussy or something. I'm sure they think I'm a jerk, but not a pussy!

[follow-up: the bat was caught with an empty coffee cup when it came to rest on one of the lights. The conductor took the cup and brought to a local animal rescue office where the bat was eventually freed. Since I'm a jerk, I thought it would be funny to place the coffee cup on someone's desk and walk away.]

No comments: