Thursday, August 14, 2008

Painless

It's only a mile, but when you fall out of shape, a mile suddenly becomes much much longer than you last recall. It's even longer when your trainer says "run."

Jerk.

Not really. He set up a new "circuit" for me that includes a 1-mile run. Fortunately, as exhausting as a 1-mile run can be, it was broken down into 1/10th of a mile for each run --and it was followed by some other routine. So, I'd start running and go full-speed for 1/10th mile, then when I hit that mark, I'd get off the treadmill and do something like 20 push-ups or 20 pull-ups. As my trainer started me and I was huffing and puffing after the first tenth, he had me do 20 squats while holding 20 pound weights. It was a full day before I realized he'd doubled the weight from my last circuit.

It was a challenge to get through the mile and there were times I wanted to just collapse, other times I wanted to throw up, and even one time I was ready to give in because of the stitch in my side. But, my trainer kept me focused and I pushed through. I finished the mile and I finished my circuit. And thank God, he didn't say "OK, let's go again."

I expected after such an intensive workout that I'd be both asleep and in pain by the time the train pulled into my home station. As I showered after the circuit, I contemplated rolling down the stairs of the train car and out to the station because there was no way these legs would be functioning.

Nothing happened.

So, I was sure since nothing hurt after getting home, that by the time I woke up early the next morning I'd be feeling the burn with every step. But nothing happened.

During work, I was sure after sitting at my desk for hours at a time, something would be burning. But again, nothing.

No pain. I had a day off from the gym and headed back yesterday and never had any pain. And after yesterday's repeat: no pain again.

This is a big hurdle to get over. I'm glad I'm over it. Again.

No comments: