Sunday, October 21, 2007

The One with the Renewed Job Hunt

I was wrong in the number of people let go in my department. It was 39, not 32 as I'd originally indicated. I also did a quick calculation and I worked just over 157 hours in 3 weeks. Ouch.

No, still not me in the purge. I've moved on to another team already. Actually, couple of funny stories I'll get out of the way before I get to the subject of this post.

Yep, I've joined my new department and come in as the #12 person on the ladder. Technically, I was supposed to be #10, but the others arrived while I was still on my last project, so they got an earlier start. No biggie, really. I had 3 days of training as my area of specialty was taken by the other 2, but learning more never hurt anyone and other companies are looking for the experience I'm getting. As odd as it sounds, on my first day on the new project, 2 of the main people had requested department transfers and they were granted. Suddenly, I'm the #10 guy. On the 2nd day, 2 more people were headhunted by another company and quit on the spot. Say hello to #8. Later that same day, another guy gave 2 weeks' notice and he'll be gone as of November 1. So, now I'm #7.... 4 of the 5 were in one area of specialty (the same specialization I have), and that will only leave 2 in that specialty in November. 2 of us are temporary people, so we're waiting breathlessly to see if the company takes the plunge and hires us on on a permanent basis. More on that later too....

Story #2 is one of the 11 remaining people from my last department. He finally decided to give his 2 weeks and flee for Australia. He's young, so apparently he can get away with it. Next Friday should've been his last day, but someone decided that was too long a wait and they didn't want him bitter by the end. So, when he came in on Friday morning, he was told it was his last day (because there's no way that would make him bitter!!). We all decided to go for lunch and say farewell. As we were walking out of the office, there was a bunch of people milling about who were "purged" from our department a week earlier. Turns out they were coming in for their last paycheck. Nope, they weren't mailed out. Their assumption was that everyone was let go on the Friday and it didn't occur to them that some of us might still be working. Needless to say, there were some sad faces in the group. Not that I actually saw any of it. I was completely oblivious to them being there.... :) They probably think I think I'm above them in stature and couldn't be bothered to acknowledge them.... Not on purpose, I say! hehe

So, why a renewed job hunt?

I'm tired. Very tired. I have very early mornings and kind of late nights and I'm not getting enough sleep. That, and my wages are extremely low and I'm watching the bills mount something fierce. I need a change and I need a raise. As much as I'd like to wait and see what happens at my current job.... I can't sit back and wait. I need to get out there and see what else comes up. One of the guys from my church has talked me up with his company. They clean up toxic soil prior to new construction projects beginning. It's a big company and my friend says his Christmas bonus last year was $25,000. No, I'm not expecting anything like that, but.... ! By the time I finish where I am right now... my "year-to-date" won't read anything that high!!

The same day he told me to apply, I saw an ad for another company doing the same type of work. That, and there's been a number of companies much more local (like a 15-minute commute instead of 2+ hours!!) that are looking for people. Chances are, the pay would be low for the ones closer to home, but closer to home means less paid for gas, less paid while I'm out, and a chance to start up the eBay stuff again.

Time will tell where I end up, but the motivation's at a high point right now....

And there's still hints about Africa coming at me...

2 comments:

Madley said...

Looking forward to hearing about Africa... so mysterious, you...

Dreama said...

toxic soil? yummy...NOT!

Yes, I agree with madley - more on Africa!!!