Sunday, October 07, 2007

The One With Breathing Room

I never really commented about "happenings" at work, but then, I've also tried avoiding the work subject a bit more over the past few months other than to say it's busy.

It's still busy. It's the Thanksgiving weekend in Canada, and I'll relate more in my next post. It's a three-fer" night for posts.

I've had some occasional difficulties with my security pass at work and it happened twice in the past couple weeks. Security has now informed me that my "final day" is October 22. It's more notice than most people get (5 business days seems to be the max for contracts coming to a sudden end). The odd thing was it also hit at the exact time I had 2 people on another team tell me they've been told I'm joining them at the end of the month. I'm not a big believer right now, so I'll breathe a little easier about that when/if I'm actually sitting in a chair there. If it's true, then out of the 500 people they hired this past spring, I'll be one of the final 40 still there. Right now, I'm in the final 100.

Imagine how I'd be doing if I thought it was a competition. I've always accepted this as a temporary job with little to no prospect in the future. My attitude has been to go in, do my job and get out. However, that seems to have impressed some people. Yay me?

While all this is happening, I've also had a friend tell me his company (3 blocks from where I am now) is in desperate need of people and they pay much, much more than I make right now. The application's already in. It's 9-5 job, which settles the train Vs. car debate. Train it is!!

So, a little bit of breathing room is always good.

No comments: