Saturday, October 15, 2005

Mental Decay

2 weeks into this semester and I already have a taken a weekend for a mental break.

Kinda sad, since last weekend was a 4-day weekend....

This is going to be a difficult semester. I've had clashes (both in person and ones I've kept bottled up) with all of my instructors for this semester and already talked to the Dean about one of my problems. No, it wasn't like I was called into his office for causing trouble, I just needed to talk to him about a problem our entire class is having.

We've been split up something fierce this semester and some of us aren't getting the same level of education as others. In my life drawing course, we averted a near-disaster after I had a "talk" with the instructor. He wanted to teach us the same anatomy lessons as last semester when he discovered half the pupils in the class weren't taught any anatomy the first time around! As one who doesn't want to spend 22 weeks studying the torso and arms, I convinced him that a week or two of that is more than enough when some of us (and we're the ones who got the A's last semester anyway) would like to know the musculature of the legs, neck and face! My carpool guy is in a different class and he'll get lessons in shading and "emotion," but he's not getting any more anatomy lessons.

On Thursday, our instructor gave us an entire page listing how many ways we can lose marks in class. Even things we're not allowed to do when the class takes a break! Feels like I'm in kindergarten again...

My blog could be quiet over the next few months. I have a feeling this semester's really going to eat into my time. Fortunately, I've managed to get the right software at home, so that I can work on this stuff any and every day.

If I could just break out of this mental break....

1 comment:

Madley said...

Don't forget your body during this time -- lots of times too much "intellectual" or "head" work can make us forget that we still need to get grounded, sleep eight hours, get exercise, etc...

In other words, BREATHE :) And we'll see you when you see you.

Good semester too you and great drawings of arm muscles!