Saturday, October 15, 2005

In Motion

I was struck last week with kind of a philosophical debate. It's truly sad when you're alone in the car and you have a good debate, yes?

Anyway, I was on my way home from school and this Cadillac was coming up behind me fairly quickly. My first thought was (having parent who owned a Caddy recently, but smartly sold it because of the cost of *everything* for it) "how much does this guy pay for gas these days?" It's one of those moments that make you think about people who constantly speed, even when the price of gas is so high. Speed does NOT equal fuel efficiency!!

I digress.

I'd taken a quick glance at the guy as I stopped for the red light and as I waited for the green, I was suddenly aware f quite a bit of movement from behind me. Looking in the rearview mirror again, I saw this guy was really really into the music he was playing in his car.

We're not talking air guitar here, people. This guy had the entire band going on his dashboard!

So, it got me thinking....

This guy, bit of a comb-over, thicker-than-normal glasses (basically, a little on the homely looking side), was in a position that people can think one of two things about him:
1 - This guy's high on life and he doesn't care who knows it.
2 - The guy's a freak.

Now, depending on your own view of life at the time... if you were to see him (or someone like him), which person would you view? The freak? Or the happy-go-lucky guy?

2 comments:

Madley said...

Definitely a happy man, said the Eternal Optimist :)

Dreama said...

that sounds like me. A few years ago I stopped caring what people thought of me and started living. I bop to the music no matter who is around and sing out loud, windows down or not. My motto is to sing like nobody's listening...