Saturday, June 16, 2007

The One About the Sweet Sixteens

So, the July reunion ended up having a "pre-reunion" this week as one of the people, an ex-girlfriend of mine (well, we dated once) had her birthday this weekend. So, a bunch of us got together and started the reunion early.

Seriously, if the creator of Facebook suddenly jumps up and says, "Hey, it was all a sociological experiment to see if people could socialize over the internet and then expand into meeting in-person," then I'm glad they made the attempt. But, to the "preunion"...

I made a couple of discoveries along the way:
  1. It's been 16 years... since I'd dated the birthday girl. And she was celebrating her 32nd birthday this time around. I realized the last time I'd gotten her a birthday card was for her 16th, so it was appropriate to see her for her 32nd --and that I can't wait to celebrate her 48th.
  2. I'm not a mean drunk, I'm an honest drunk. While it was interesting and somewhat exciting to get together with people I hadn't seen in over a decade, I discovered that a few too many drinks can make this guy a little too honest.... Hence, telling one guy I thought he was gay (he was hitting every bell on my gaydar!). Telling one girl she'd definitely gotten bigger since I last saw her. And, of course, the doozy. Meeting this one guy who had dated the birthday girl for over 2 years, only to be dumped for me.... who went out with her for about 6 hours. Yeah, I told him. I've never seen someone's face go that way before.
  3. Alcohol + antihistamines = whoopsie! I've been hit with allergies over the past week+, but it never occurred to me to NOT take some allergy pills before going out and having a few drinkies. Around the 6th drink, I noticed a funny buzzing in my ear. Someone said it must be a sparkly blue fairy, but I could only recall a green pixie. Which made me think of this:
  4. Sometimes you can't go back again --even if you would. 16 years since I've last seen her. Smoking is a definite turn-off and we don't have much in common.... I'd still do her. ;)
My understanding that although only 30 people have replied on Facebook for the July reunion, right now there's approximately 100 people planning on attending.

I just have to remind myself to lay off the drugs beforehand.

2 comments:

Madley said...

Hey HH,

I agree with you... sometimes you can't go back again.

I just got an email on myspace from a guy I screwed around with ONE NIGHT up in the hills... we knew each other in high school but this was a couple summers after when I was home from college working a summer job at an amusement park in the Bay Area.

After reassuring me he wasn't dead (a big rumor had gone around), he proceeded to apologize for that one night (let's just say it was a QUICK EVENING)... he'd never forgotten it. I was going to tell him I hadn't either -- we were up in a canyon in a big old Chevelle or something on dirt roads up a cliff and I thought I was gonna die because he'd been smoking pot and I just KNEW if I hadn't DIED because of the drive back down, my mother would then KILL ME because she'd I was with a potsmoking lunatic like him... OR they'd just never find my body up there...

Well, I never wrote him back... he's single now and I think he was "checking to see if I was still ON." I got a note back after a week: "Did I say something wrong?"

LOL

He did, but I told him instead I'd get back to him... I didn't really feel like going back and visiting my past like that... yikes.

But now... off for a "quick drink"... the only thing fun about being single...

BTW, I was NEVER sweet at 16... can you tell?

Dreama said...

If this behaviour is the pre-reunion stuff...the reunion is sure to be mighty interesting...I'd skip the drinks before someone takes it real personal and you meet flesh at the end of an arm, lol...