Sunday, September 23, 2007

The One With Words

Work's been keeping me busy and I honestly don't have much to write about. I have to get up even earlier these days as we're working earlier. Pretty soon, the train will be out too because I'll be starting early and ending late. Very late. I can expect a few nights where I don't come home.

So, a few minor items while they're in my head.
  • Signed up for a specialized account for a website that will publish my "work." Not only does it publish, but it's done through Amazon, so not exactly a minor distribution market.

  • So, what does my "work" consist of? Well, for starters I've been jotting down notes for a bunch of short stories during my train commutes... I may have a single character tie them all together too.

  • With the exception of a few people, nearly everyone I've listed in 'My Dramatis Personae' (look up the post, I'm too lazy) is now a friend on Facebook.

  • One of them, 'Alberta' has really been on my mind lately. I feel she's going to change the world and I'm excited for her. She's in Africa right now... starting the change.

  • Africa's been on my mind for nearly a year too. Some people from my church set up an orphanage and school there a few years ago and they've invited a number of people to come help. I've felt a few tugs drawing me in that direction, even if it is only for a few weeks. It'll be the ultimate far cry from 'My Year' back in 2004 when I was thinking only of myself. And, yes, the idea of visiting 'Alberta' there has crossed my mind. She'll be there 'til June and I may go as early as January. Maybe.

  • Something I read in 'Alberta's' Facebook profile has really hit me too. It's just a saying, but I keep hearing her say it when I'm sleeping. No, nothing erotic or anything like that. More disconcerting than anything.

  • No, still nothing happening on eBay. I'm too busy with work and that means no one gets their stuff in a timely fashion or through a delivery system I trust. Total back burner, but I have plans --again.

  • A trip to Vegas may be in the cards very, very soon. My bro-in-law might be heading North again, this time working in Seattle. His wife insists on flying back, which means he needs people to drive cars from Nevada to Washington. We'll see.

  • I'm trying to get my personal website up and running again. Apparently, I let the payments lapse for the hosting server and now I can't get a hold of the guy so I can pay him again.

  • I'm tired. But I haven't gotten sick in a while. I'm paranoid about it, though. It'll happen soon enough, I'm sure.

  • I finally gave up on my old cell phone and wanted to get a decent multifunctional cell for my next one. There are, essentially, 3 cell phone providers in our area to work with. I've been with one for 4 years and they sent me a notice that if I renewed for 3 years, they'd give me any phone currently priced at $99.99 on their 3-yr plan for half-price. That seemed worth it and they had a phone with most of the functions I wanted at that price. I ordered online and they delivered within a week... with a bill for $600+! It seems the phone I want is only for new subscribers.

  • Which brings me to the latest thing that bothers me about phone/cell/internet companies. Their marketing geniuses reward new customers but essentially dump on existing ones. Why? Our ISP offers a free computer or a $400 credit with Dell if you sign up with them --but only for new customers. Our phone company offers $50 of monthly features free for 6 months if you sign with them. The cable company offers 3 free months of their premium cable package when you order the tier-3 package. No upgrades are accepted.

  • The last customer loyalty "reward" I got from the cell phone company? A 2007 calendar. I order it in December and it hasn't arrived yet.
I'm tired and I have to work tomorrow. I'll post more thoughts next week. Hopefully.

1 comment:

Dreama said...

Africa, huh? I never knew you wanted to go...I too have it on my horizon...have a friend who just came back from 6 months there with her children and LOVED it.