Saturday, March 18, 2006

What's a month between friends?

Anything like a month between posts?

Hmmm..... must've been busy, yes?

YES.

I'm now 2/3 through the diploma program and only have 6 months to go until I'm finally done. It's a little freaky to think of where I need to be (mentally and physically) in half a year. Yeek! But I'm working on it.

I just re-read my last couple of posts and noticed I never updated what happened with my presentation in February.

Well, I hated it, but apparently the faculty were impressed with what they saw. I did this really cool powerpoint presentation and when I got to the room, I discovered I was loading it up on a single computer and everyone would crowd around the monitor to 'watch' the presentation. It was a "when spoken to" type of presentation and I was expected only to answer questions and react to critiques. So, yeah, I wasn't impressed.

But, as I said, they saw something they liked and encouraged me to change part of my plan and head in a new-ish direction. The direction still leads to the same outcome (in an eventual promotion at a job --which was always part of the plan), but the new direction just makes it easier. Fine by me!

There won't be a "have" class and a "have not" class as our group will apparently be much smaller next semester. I know of 2 people dropping back to part-time (and won't be part of our graduating project work) and one person (whom I've mentioned previously as dragging down the rest of the class) is 65% sure he's quitting completely. (Yay!)

There should be 25-28 of us in one class and a majority of those people are pushing me to be the lead. They're joined by the 3 faculty that 'supervise' our work, ensuring that we're meeting our goals. All 3 have looked to me over the past month as the "go-to guy" for the entire program, which will definitely help with getting a kick-ass job once I finish school. All I have to do is continue to work my butt off. (although one instructor let it slip that within 5 years I could be making over $120K --I could handle that!)

1 comment:

Madley said...

So of course you're TAKING the lead position, right? :) Once the go-to-guy, always the go-to-guy -- and that's COOL.

Glad to hear all is going really, really well!

Madley (who hasn't done an update in ages either)